Re: Debian conflicts with FHS on /usr/include/{linux,asm}

In article <cistron.7m78a5$st0$1@Q.cistron.nl>,
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> wrote:
>Duh. Compile with -I/usr/src/linux/include.

Ofcourse I just realized that was not a very constructive remark, sorry.
So I'll put in a useful one.

If you compile software like gated, which wants to do a
#include <linux/fnord.h> you cannot compile with -I/usr/src/linux/include,
since there is a net/ directory below /usr/src/linux/include. And a scsi/
directory, ofcourse. The net/ and scsi/ directories of /usr/src/linux/include
and /usr/include are _not_ compatible in any way - they serve different
purposes.

So, someone should fix the kernel in the 2.3.x series to move
/usr/src/linux/include/{net,scsi,video} below /usr/src/linux/include/linux

Until then, this is the only _real_ argument against using -I/usr/src/l....,
unless you want to argue that glibc2.1 should more closely follow
the linux 2.2 versions (which makes sense as well).

MIke.
--
Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.