Re: Some comments on policy 3.0.0.0 proposal (1999-06-29)

Hi,

        Thanks for the comments.

>>"Yann" == Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> writes:

 Yann> 2.1.7. Subsections
 Yann> "The packages in the _main_, _contrib_,
 Yann> and _non-free_ sections are grouped further into _subsections_ to
 Yann> simplify handling of them".

 Yann> This is also true for "non-US", I think ?

        I'll add non-US as well, thanks.

 Yann> 2.3.2. The maintainer of a package

 Yann> "If the maintainer of a package quits from the Debian project the
 Yann> Debian QA Group takes over the maintainership"

 Yann> Could the email address for "Debian QA Group" fit here ?

        Done.

 Yann> 3.3.1. Introduction

 Yann> "The names of the links all have the form `S<mm/<script>>' or
 Yann> `K<mm/<script>>'"

        Ooops. That was a typo mm/<var> ==> mm</var>. Fixed.

 Yann> 4.5. Symbolic links

 Yann> "In general, symbolic links within a toplevel directory ..."

 Yann> Toplevel directories are not clearly defined.  Do we consider /boot/
 Yann> to be part of "toplevel directories" for this purpose ?  What about
 Yann> /usr/X11R6/ ?

        I think top level directories mean the directories in the root
 directory -- so /boot shall qualify, but not /usr/X11R6/. The policy
 already qualifies the term as:

        (A top-level directory is a sub-directory of the root
        directory `/'.)

        Is this not clear enough? Would someone please suggest wording
 for a clarification footnote?

 Yann> 4.7. Configuration files

 Yann> "Only packages that are tagged _conflicting_ with each other may
 Yann> specify the same file as `conffile'"

 Yann> I did run into problems when I tried to "share" the /etc/kbd/* files
 Yann> (of which "config" is a conffile) between kbd and console-tools,
 Yann> although they are conflicting packages.  I think we should investigate
 Yann> whether this exception should be dropped.

        Would someone please look at this issue, and maybe come up
 with a proposal?

 Yann> 5.5. Web servers and applications

 Yann> "Html documents for a package are stored in /usr/share/doc/<package>
 Yann> and can be referred to as http://localhost/doc/<package>/<filename>"

 Yann> I thought this as a default behaviour had been flagged as a security
 Yann> flaw and disabled (I had to re-enable it in apache).

        Should this be relaxed, then? Something like this?

 "Html documents for a package are stored in /usr/share/doc/<package>,
 and, depending on your local configuration, _may_ be referred to as
 http://localhost/doc/<package>/<filename>"

 Yann> 5.6. Mail transport agents

 Yann> "The mail spool is `/var/spool/mail'"

 Yann> Is this really necessary ?  exim uses another one
 Yann> (/var/spool/exim/input/ IIRC) and I don't think it breaks anything but
 Yann> the policy here.

        Umm, I think so. The mail readers, and there are a lot of
 them, need to know where to pick up the mail from, I think (Three of
 my packages, Gnus, VM, and mailagent, would be affected).

        manoj

--
 It may stop, but it never ends. Matt Howarth