Re: Quality Assurance Group mini-policy

Chris Lawrence <quango@watervalley.net> wrote:
> On Jun 06, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> >   Wichert>  I don't like this very much. For example I did a NMU of ssh to
> >   Wichert> add PAM supports. I made some errors there and ended up doing two
> >   Wichert> more NMU's to fix those. According to those rules the packages
> >   Wichert> could have been marked orphaned since I did 3 uploads in as many
> >   Wichert> days. I suggest removing the `3 consecutive bugfix uploads' from
> >   Wichert> that paragraph.
> >
> > Replace it with "no upload in three (months|weeks|)" ?  We have to do
> > something about maintainers who are MIA.

> The implication I get from the paragraph is that the package could be
> orphaned after two months if 3 bugfix uploads have occurred in that
> time, i.e.:

> March 1: maintainer uploads package.
> March 15: bugfix
> March 17: bugfix
> April 3: bugfix
> May 1: package is orphaned; last maintainer upload was March 1, which
>        was 2 months ago.

> Since all the maintainer has to do to make the package no longer
> orphaned is do an upload between March 15 and May 1, incorporating any
> of the NMUs, I don't see a problem.

> However, I do make 2 recommendations: that the time period be
> expressed in non-variable units (i.e. days or weeks), and the time
> period begins when the first NMU takes place.  So my recommendation
> would be:

> ``However, if QA Group members make 3 consecutive bugfix uploads, with
> no action on the part of the maintainer, the package will be marked as
> orphaned 60 days after the first QA Group bugfix upload, and the
> 'Maintainer' field of the package will be set to "Debian QA Group
> <debian-qa@lists.debian.org>".''

Thanks, this is a very good and IMHO better than the old one. So I would
recommend using this one instead of the old one. This also makes sure
that we don't have to many packages where the maintainer is MIA but also
we don't thread the developers to much to work on their packages.

Cheers
       Christian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*         Use Debian - a free Operating System for your PC         *