Re: [PROPOSAL DRAFT]: editor and sensible-editor

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl> replies:
> Yes it would: if you invoke vim as ex, ... hit Q while in vim it
> will switch to ex-mode which is perfectly usable on dumb terminals.

You're quite right, of course.  I had overlooked ex-mode since I don't
use it.  (Hmm, it might be nice if vim entered ex-mode automatically
on dumb terminals.)

> vim as ex, supply the -e option

Which reraises the issue of a few weeks ago about whether or not
EDITOR and PAGER should be able to include options (and possibly shell
metacharacters).  Currently, at least for PAGER, various programs
parse the value of PAGER differently; so I think it would be good for
Debian policy to specify the format of the value of these environment
variables.

-ccwf