Re: [PROPOSAL DRAFT]: editor and sensible-editor

Nicolás Lichtmaier <nick@debian.org> writes:
>  I think we should extend policy by adding a XEDITOR variable that when
> defined overrides de EDITOR var iff we are in X.

Making this policy would require modifying a *huge* number of
programs.  The EDITOR and VISUAL variables are *NIX traditions, and
are already supported by most well-written programs, and even many
badly written ones.

IOW, we support the EDITOR variable because so many programs just
happen to support it already, so making it policy is relatively
painless.  This is not true of a proposal to add a new variable.

If you want the same effect, you can simply have EDITOR point to a
script which tests whether X is running or not, and calls an
appropriate editor, depending.