Re: utmp group proposal

I'll second on official creation of the `utmp' group, even if none of
the other major Linux distributions are also doing this...  though I
wonder if they are, and if they also call the group `utmp'.  We ought
to use the same group name, even if not all use the same standard GID
for that group.  Is the "Linux Standards Base" project still alive?

Along these same lines...

 I've noticed that there is currently a `uucp' group, a `dip' group,
 and a `dialout' group.  Do we really need all three?  What is the
 intended use of each group?  Shouldn't they all just be consolidated
 under `dialout'?

 `minicom' is group owned by `uucp'.  My ttyS1 is owned by group
 `dialout', and `pppd' is owned by group `dip'.

 I don't see the need for all three groups.  Is there a reason for
 that that I've not thought of?

--
mailto:psu25682@odin.cc.pdx.edu (Karl M. Hegbloom)
mailto:karlheg@debian.org (Karl M. Hegbloom)