Re: utmp group proposal

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 02:17:54PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> > > Bug:
> > > Title: utmp group proposal
> > >  Create a new utmp group that can modify utmp, programs that were
> > >  previously  suid root can be sgid utmp instead.
>
> > The only objection I recall (that the person doing the objecting didn't
> > want to do something no other dist was going to) has been adressed..  Do
> > we have a consensus now?
>
> I posted an objection that I thought we should check with a security
> expert to make sure there aren't any known security issues with this
> idea.  I don't know if that's been done, but the moment it is, my
> objection will be (has been?:) withdrawn.

The security implications of sgid utmp are possibly not to be completely
ignored, however at this point the programs that would be sgid utmp are
currently suid root!

Obviously, if there are any security issues in individual packages, I
don't know about them.  But I'd sure rather find out that some package is
capible of abusing utmp than find out the same program can let someone
root your system!

<Culus> "Hello?"  "Hi baybee"  "Are you Johnie Ingram?"  "For you I'll be
        anyone" "Ermm.. Do you sell slink CD's?" "I love slinkies"