Re: md5sum proposal

Hi,
>>"Christoph" == Christoph Lameter <christoph@lameter.com> writes:

 Christoph> On 18 May 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> Precisely. You have yet to come up with anything that adresses
 >> the technical shortcomings of the md5sum proposal. I, for one, use
 >> tripwire. I would much prefer to use a free solution, but I do not
 >> have time to write a secure replacement.

 Christoph> Technical shortcomings of the tipwire approach vs. the
 Christoph> intruder-changes-checksums idea are the same

        Very good.

 Christoph> plus you only have the checksums of the files *after* they
 Christoph> were unpacked.

        This is an advantage. This allows me to have the md5sums of
 the config files after I modified them. This also allows one to add
 other directories and files to the checked list.

 Christoph> With md5sums you have the checksums of the files on the
 Christoph> *maintainers* system and there is a verification that the
 Christoph> files are the *same* as the maintainer generated
 Christoph> them. That is what I want.

        And you do not trust the md5sum of the .deb (you do check
 that, don't you?). The md5sum of the .deb file, signed by the
 maintainer, and accepted by dinstall, guarantees you everything that
 the md5sum would. Apt even checks the md5sum of the packages
 downloaded.

 Christoph> debian-policy did not exist 3 years ago. And I am just in
 Christoph> the process of getting into things again. Good to hear
 Christoph> that none of your arguments have changed since.

        One does not need to change correct one. And you ad hominem
 merely proves that your arguments again fail muster.

        manoj

--
 After enjoying the taste of solitude and the taste of peace, one is
 freed from distress and evil, as one enjoys the taste of spiritual