Re: md5sum proposal

On 18 May 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         Precisely. You have yet to come up with anything that adresses
>  the technical shortcomings of the md5sum proposal. I, for one, use
>  tripwire. I would much prefer to use a free solution, but I do not
>  have time to write a secure replacement.

Technical shortcomings of the tipwire approach vs. the
intruder-changes-checksums idea are the same plus you only have
the checksums of the files *after* they were unpacked. With md5sums you
have the checksums of the files on the *maintainers* system and there is a
verification that the files are the *same* as the maintainer generated
them. That is what I want.

debian-policy did not exist 3 years ago. And I am just in the process of
getting into things again. Good to hear that none of your arguments have
changed since.

                        Christoph Lameter, MSCS, M.Div.