Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

*Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> I hate to use Word, and hate to have Word documents on my system
> (you can really grep through them to find stuff and identify a
> document), but it's the standard at my place of work (where I use
> Linux all day).  I'm thankful that there exist _free_ readers for
> it.   I don't see why being able to read a proprietary format
> makes it non-free.
	Pehaps we should take as Stallman-like view and prefer that action
that furthers our larger objective.  word2x and Wordperfect have some
ability to read MSWord docs, and so make the adoption of Debian (or linux)
a much more attractive proposition. This may eventually help lead more
quickly to the adoption of an open word processing standard.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org