Re: [SUMMARY] packages useless without non-free servers? (Was: a giant flamewar that's gotten hot as hell itself!)

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 07:04:57PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
>       deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main
>       deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable main
>
> I would be happy with that.

* knghtbrd is counting seconds until pandora with reorganized non-US
   becomes the official non-us.debian.org

>       # Mention that these things below here aren't part of Debian and if the
>       # user wants them they'll have to uncomment them.
>
>       #deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable contrib non-free
>       #deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable contrib non-free
>
> I'm slightly unhappy with that, but I wouldn't make a big issue
> about a mere comment.

I would really like those two sections to not be in dists/*/, really.  As
a matter of practicality we can't put them in another tree than the
typical /pub/debian or whatever, but I do think we should not have them
in next to main.  That's not sending a clear enough message that these
things are provided because someone felt like packaging them, but they
aren't part of Debian.

Moving them won't make them go away of course, but in all honesty we
aren't ready to totally throw away non-free yet.  There are still things
in it that our users often need.  A good example of this is Netscape, but
I'm hoping soon that we'll have a functional Mozilla to make that example
go away.  =>

* james would be more impressed if netgod's magic powers could stop the
  splits in the first place...
* netgod notes debian developers are notoriously hard to impress