technical issues [was: Software in main ...]

 JH> Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:
 >> Some software in main is totally useless to me because my
 >> computers don't send/receive *any* information to/from non-free
 >> software, and they run all the software in main.
 >>
 >> `main' is big enough as it is.  If we gut it, I'll have more room
 >> on my tiny hard disk.  More room to do important things, like
 >> write free replacements for the packages we gutted.

 JH> I suggest you learn how to deselect things in dselect.

How do you deselect all the packages from `main' that lose features if
you are on a network that contains only `main' software?

To my knowledge, the only way to do this is to do research into every
package in `main', a prospect I'm not thrilled at having to complete.

It would be nicer if I only researched the few Debian packages I
maintained, and others researched theirs, and then we can compile a
list.

I believe that list would be best expressed as a forest of symlinks,
under the name `pure' (or some other, less inflammatory name).

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)