Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 09:30:53AM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:
>  RW> You are talking about separating out main because of moral
>  RW> reasons, not technical reasons like the one behind contrib's
>  RW> creation in the first place, and I don't see a need for it.
>
> Some software in main is totally useless to me because my computers
> don't send/receive *any* information to/from non-free software, and
> they run all the software in main.

So the software while free is not useful to you.  I could suggest that
you simply not install it, but I will agree with you that main is
exceptionally large at this point and more than a little hard to handle.
It's also hard to DISTRIBUTE on CD cheaply (ie, $2 from cheapbytes) since
main is taking at least 2 CDs and will take more, just for binaries.

This is a problem, but I want it fixed right.  If we fix it left, it'll
become a problem again.  So let's fix it right.  Right is much better
than left this time.  (please accept my attempt at some small measure of
comic relief as an attempt to soften this argument rather than enhance
it..)

> `main' is big enough as it is.  If we gut it, I'll have more room on
> my tiny hard disk.  More room to do important things, like write free
> replacements for the packages we gutted.
>
> Technical enough for ya?

Not for me, no.  However after the logo vote I understand wichert is
going to propose something else that would have the effect of causing
main to shrink..  Gutting main simply to remove the software that is
useless to you is a bad plan.

I'd comment further but since I haven't SEEN wichert's proposal yet (not
sure he's written it even) and just know the gist if what he's got in
mind, I won't step on his toes too much till he proposes it.  At that
point, I'll comment.  =>

[
  not going to answer the parts about people's morality, I'm sick of
  arguing about that and it's not going to stop if someone doesn't stop
  it..
]

<Davide> how bout a policy policing policy with a policy for changing the
         police policing policy