Re: let's be practical [Re: Software in main etc.]

<rough>
  I propose that we say that software that can read a proprietary file
  format or network protocol is Ok for main, as long as it's linked
  (ln) to libraries that can go in main, and the company or person who
  wrote the original protocol or file format doesn't object to our
  using it (or the algorithm required to read or translate it) by way
  of having stipulated that it's forbidden to in the software licence
  to their version of the client, or by coming on our public mailing
  lists and saying we can't do that.

(Q:should we ask them for permission in some or all cases?)

<rational
  We allow the kernel's filesystems and lilo which depends on a
  binary-only BIOS, (other examples anyone?) so by this we must also
  allow "Word2x" and "tic"./

This ought to be put into nicer words in the policy document, to
clarify things so that the argument won't be resurected six months
after we finally declare it moot.

</rough>

--
Am I forbidden to tic but not to toc?