Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

Hi,

 Luis> On 4 May 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> Unfortunately, we do not live in a world where all software is
 >> free. Neither are all protocols. Sometimes, some communication
 >> protocols gain popularity with the masses that have no free
 >> implementations.

 Luis> "Sometimes, some *operating system* standards gain popularity with the
 Luis> masses that have no free implementation."

        Please elucidate.

 Luis> I for one don't think that's a sufficient reason to use that OS- do you?

        I have stuff on my machine that understands appletalk, and
  NTFS, and vfat. I like it here.

 >> Imagine when a group of people say "Hey, call us using
 >> foo-grubble, and we can have a neat game". And we have to say, sorry,
 >> no can do, I use linux, and I am unable to do that.

 Luis> "Imagine when a group of people say "Hey, *I'll send you the
 Luis> doc in Word98 format.*" And we have to say, sorry, no can do, I
 Luis> use linux, and I am unable to do that."

        I, on the other hand, use word2x, and recently, wordperfect,
 and I understand word files. I tell people my preference, and I don't
 send out word files, but I run a capable system.

 Luis> I imagine that, and have it happen to me every day. So what? I knew that
 Luis> was a problem when I switched to Linux, and I deal.

        I prefer solving problems, and I prefer not to keep presenting
 the other cheek and dealing.  Linux is not about suffering. Neither
 should Debian be.

 >> At that point, the impression is that we are running a less
 >> capable system.

 Luis> Well, in some ways we *are* running a less capable
 Luis> system.

        Rubbish.

 Luis> Practically speaking, if we don't force people to write
 Luis> alternatives, we will never have a more capable system.

        I shall have nothing to do with any such forcing. If you think
 that the free software community is based on prior coercion, you do
 not know us. As I said, these attitudes are fascist.

 Luis> If stamping a product "non-free" will motivate people to write
 Luis> a replacement, then this is a necessary step. Certainly, saying
 Luis> it is completely free (which it obviously is not) will not do
 Luis> much to motivate that development.

        I think it si completely free. It is a free product that
 enables me to talk to non-free software. Like NTFS enable me to reasd
 a non free file system.

 Luis> P.S. I fully support the maintainers who reject tik, and hope that policy
 Luis> will be clarified so that the various ICQ clients and word-format
 Luis> converters can be moved out of main.

        I think I shall object to that.

 Luis> P.P.S. I'm surprised to see that no one here has suggested the
 Luis> creation of another section (alongside contrib) that would hold
 Luis> packages dependent on non-free protocols (as opposed to
 Luis> non-free libs.) Were I a developer, I'd officially suggest it
 Luis> myself.

        I think this is free. I think it meets the DFSG. I shall
        object to that.

        manoj
--
 Don't worry.  Life's too long. Vincent Sardi, Jr.