Re: PROPOSAL: libtool archive (`*.la) files in `-dev' packages

Joel Klecker wrote:
> I'm not sure if you mean DT_SONAME or DT_NEEDED.
>
> For the former:
> jk@cerberus:[~]% objdump -p /lib/libc-2.1.1.so | awk '/SONAME/ {print $2}'
> libc.so.6

Actually what I really need for debhelper is the library name and major
version number, as is seen in a shlibs file. Thanks for the objdump hint,
maybe I cantry splitting that into the two, it's certianly better than
trying to parse the filename..

> I suggest not using the term versioning to refer to sonames, it is
> too easy to confuse it with symbol versioning.

I used the term versioning because .la files contain 3 different version
numbers.

--
see shy jo