PROPOSAL: libtool archive (`*.la) files in `-dev' packages

Hi,

I maintain the GNU libtool Debian packages.

The latest GNU libtools (>= 1.3a) can take advantage of installed
libtool archive files (`*.la').  According to Thomas Tanner (one of the
GNU libtool mainters):

   Version >= 1.3a of libtool will search for those
   files, which contain a lot of useful information
   about a library (e.g. dependency libraries for
   static linking). Also, they're essential for programs
   using libltdl.

As such, installing the `.la' files in `-dev' packages seems like a
good idea, especially for static linking issues.  Many developers do not
include the `.la' files in the `-dev' packages.  My proposal is to make
packages that use libtool to create shared libraries install the
generated `.la' files in corresponding `-dev' packages.

Opinions?  Would this be something we could add to our packing
policies?

Thanks,
-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
Center for Distributed Object Computing, Washington University, St. Louis