Adminstrative changes, and the FHS

Hi folks,

        I just uploaded policy and packaging manual packages to
 master, and ave incorporated all the amendments and typos fixes for
 the packages.

        As a purely adminstrative issue, I would like to put
 packaging-manual.sgml also into the debian-policy package. I do not
 mean to merge any documents, or in any way, shape, or form change the
 meaning, import, rating, of interpretation of any document.

        The packaging-manual package contains but oe sgml file, and
 essentially duplicates the adminstrative effort required for the
 policy manual (for example, the change requiring the bundling of
 version.ent had to be repeated). Since the same set of people upload
 packages, and this list oversees both packages, and they are close in
 intent, I propose that I be allowed to pull the packages together for
 adminstrative purposes.

        I realize that a an over haul of the packaging manual is long
 overdue (it should really be documenting interfaces, and things like
 package version numbers that are legal, as opposed to details of
 miscellaneous program invocation), and we also need to decide whether
 the newly uphauled manual should or should not have the weight of
 policy.

        Also, there has been a large backlog of items that have come
 up for consideration here on the list, recorded as bugs, and gone
 nowhere since. I would like to bring the matters up for review here,
 and set up the discussion time, at the end of which they should
 either be adopted, rejected, or put on hold/passed to the larger
 developer body for resolution. Languishing as wishlist bugs on the
 policy does no good.

        The people who would like to have the FHS included in the
 policy package should then work towards bringing the proposal in
 BUG#25533 to fruition.

        I shall be submitting a number of the proposals on the backlog
 up here for resolution (like, asking for seconds, and determingin a
 time fromae for discusssion, etc), since someones gotta do it.

        manoj
--
 Flon's Law: There is not now and never will be a language in which it
 is the least bit difficult to write bad programs.