Re: Debian GNU [was: smarter way to differ architectures needed?]

Richard Braakman wrote:
>Note that we already have the problem that some source packages build
>different sets of binary packages on different architectures.  There's
>no real support for that; we just wing it.  This causes the archive
>check scripts to whine at me a lot :-)

Maybe the best way around this is to have the Makefile abort and/or do
nothing if you try to compile a binary package on an architecture that
is not supported. Obviously this needs more thought - I am not really
familar with creating multiple binary packages from the one source
package, so I don't know how it is done.

The alternative is to have a set of rules, ie ${hwarch} must be either
hwarch-i386 or hwarch-sparc for the package. I am not really sure how
you could specify this though. Another header?

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>