Re: Debian GNU [was: smarter way to differ architectures needed?]

On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 02:01:29PM -0600, Gordon Matzigkeit wrote:

>  >> Now, I guess it would be useful for at least glibc.  In that case,
>  >> the keyword I like best is `kernel-any' -> `linux ^ hurd ^ ...'.
>
>  BM> Hang on - I think I read you now. You are saying that most
>  BM> programs should depend on the specific glibc version rather then
>  BM> the kernel.
>
> Nearly every program will depend on the specific glibc soname
> (i.e. libc5 or libc6 on Linux, libc0.2 on the Hurd).  Only some
> programs would depend on the kernel *in addition to* libc (such as
> modutils, which would have `Depends: linux, libc6').

We have quite a lot of Linux dependent packages, don't forget the networking
stuff, the /proc stuff and the other kernel related tools.

BTW, what is wrong with the existing GNU nomenclature?

CPU={i388,sparc,...}		# "hwarch"
SYSTEM={linux,gnu,...}		# "kernel", "os"

You already said why you dislike cpu. But we should really think twice before
introducing yet another different nomenclature, and consider staying with
existing terms. The architecture stuff is confusing enough. (Also think how
dpkg-architecture can fit into this setup). Is the benefit of exactness
(hwarch vs. cpu) worth the effort of at least 500 people to learn yet another
word for the same thing? Maybe you should try to get the GNU nomenclature
changed first if it is that important?

>  BM> However, this falls apart if you have Hurd programs that skip
>  BM> glibc altogether and talk directly to the Hurd tasks (this is
>  BM> meant to be faster).
>
> The only packages that do this right now are glibc itself, and

What about gdb?

[...]

Of course, the biggest problem will be the ftp reorganization when we start
to make more sophisticated use of the arch dependencies. That must be
adressed, but can probably be combined with some other reorganization (there
was the idea of a "package pool", which may be useful in this context).

I am looking forward to read your draft for an proposal!

Marcus