Re: /etc/init.d scripts

On 17-Apr-99, 12:20 (CDT), Brock Rozen <brozen@torah.org> wrote:

> Unless, of course, the default system $PATH has been changed, for whatever
> reason.

But if it was changed for a reason, then the scripts shouldn't override
it.

> What if I change the path? These scripts should work even if I change the
> default path. And certainly adding a PATH line isn't going to break the
> scripts, is it?

If FHS 4.0 changes the standard sysadmin bin directory from /sbin and
/usr/sbin to /sysadmin and /usr/lib/sysadmin, then yes, all the scripts
are now broken, and all of them have to be fixed. Yes, I know that's an
unlikely example.

The real point is that there are two conflicting desires:

1. That the sysadmin be able to make stupid changes to the environment,
and that everything still work.

2. That the sysadmin be able to make clever changes to the environment,
and have it affect everything in the desired way.

The cumulative effort of requiring everyone to add PATH settings to
every script is not insignificant. The only people it helps are those
who want to make silly changes to their path. Why should we spend the
effort to accomodate silly people?

If you, for some reason, want a root account that doesn't include /sbin
and /usr/sbin, then create a UID=0 account name myroot.

Steve