Re: [PROPOSED] moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy

Joey Hess wrote:

> With menus, you have some constraints:
>
> * You need to put commonly accessed menus as close to the root as possible.
>   That's why the XShells menu is right on the root, because we know people
>   start more xterms than anything else.
> * You need to limit menus to no more than 15 items, 10 is better. Otherwise
>   they won't fit on some screens.
> * One package can install menus items in any number of different menus. Look
>   at bsdgames.

I'm not arguing that every command should have a menu entry.
I'm not even arguing that one package can only have one menu
entry.

Perhaps something like the reverse of package->menu.  The menu
has an extra level, and finer grain.  Perhaps packages sections
more like the menu would be good.

       Apps            - normal applications
         Editors       - text editors
         Emulators     - wine, dosemu, etc.
         Graphics      - image manipulation
	 Hammradio     - anything relating to ham radio
         Math          - math related programs
         Net           - network programs that don't fit elsewhere
         Programming   - debuggers, etc.
         Tools         - simple apps, like clocks, that perform only one task
	 Technical     - technical stuff
	 Text          - text oriented tools other than editors
         Shells        - bash, ksh, zsh, etc.
         Sound         - sound players and editors
         Viewers       - image viewers
         System        - system administration and monitoring tools
       Games           - games and recreations
         Games         - all games
         Toys          - amusements, eye-candy, etc.
       Screen          - programs that affect the whole screen
         Lock          - programs to lock the screen
         Save          - screen savers
         Root-window   - things that fill the root window
       WindowManagers  - X window managers
         Modules       - window manager modules
       XShells         - xterm and its brethern

I'll shut up now...