Re: [PROPOSED] moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> Fabien Ninoles wrote:
>
> >            For sure, sections are a good hint to where menu entries
> > goes but they can be different elsewhere you'll get empty menu
> > sections and other too much populate.
>
> Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > With menus, you have some constraints:
> >
> > * You need to put commonly accessed menus as close to the root as possible.
> >   That's why the XShells menu is right on the root, because we know people
> >   start more xterms than anything else.

Yep. Maybe that could be done more dynamically? Every time you select
something it gets a point. Items with many points get more imporatant
and can be reached easier. :) Hey, a self learning menu system.

> > * You need to limit menus to no more than 15 items, 10 is better. Otherwise
> >   they won't fit on some screens.

Nope, the menu should have a "more" item opening a submenu if it
doesn`t fit. The number of items depends to much on the installed
packages and will vary widely across systems. You eigther have to many
entries or to deep recursions. A variable, self structuring approach
is better.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin