Re: Mechanism for removing developers

On 28-Jan-99, 09:13 (CST), John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 02:17:42PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > I really don't like your idea. There are many packages with many bugs :
> > http://master.debian.org/~vincent/report-bybugnum.txt
> > And also many packages with very old bugs :
> > http://master.debian.org/~vincent/report-byage.txt
>
> Again, as I said in my message, I'm not proposing removing developers that
> maintain packages with bugs, or packages with very old bugs.  This case is
> different.  The developer has literally *ignored* bugs for over 700 or 800
> days, depending on the bug.  That's right -- no response to the submittor.
> No evidence of any action to fix it.  Nothing.

Hmmm. Both cron and nvi have some very old bugs. I haven't sent anything
to the submitters in quite a while w.r.t. those bugs. I agree that they
are bugs, but I also think that they are fairly obscure (no one else
has complained in the meantime), and would require a significant amount
of effort to fix. I leave them open because if I ever get the time and
inclination, I'll tackle them. Possibly someone else will feel the
challenge, and do it for me. My point is, I'm not ignoring them, they
just haven't reached the top of my queue. I don't feel a need to write
to the submitter every month to say "I still haven't fixed it". The
submitters apparently haven't felt a need to write me to say "I need
this fixed now!". Everybody is happy. If you need something done at a
higher priority than the maintainer is applying, send them a note and
ask what their plan is. If it doesn't meet your desires, offer to fix it
yourself and send the maintainer the patch.

In the meantime, I've fixed a bunch of other problems with both
packages. No, my turnaround time is not that quick, even for simple
things, because I tend to batch stuff together and devote an whole day
to it -- that's the way I work. Release critical bugs during the freeze
I do try to attack quickly, but it may take more than 24 hours.

I typically don't notify the sender that I received the bug unless I
have questions. The bug system already did that.

ObOnTopic: The NMU mechanism provides a way for fixes to be done given a
lack of timely maintainer response. Waiting for a year of silence before
officially grabbing the package is not that big a burden.

Steve