Re: Mechanism for removing developers

Le Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 11:34:42PM -0600, John Goerzen écrivait:
> I am not proposing throwing people out for having bugs in their packages, or
> even for having lots of them.  Rather, what I am proposing is a way to
> prevent people that ignore their responsibility from becoming a hindrance to
> the quality and freshness of Debian.

I really don't like your idea. There are many packages with many bugs :
http://master.debian.org/~vincent/report-bybugnum.txt
And also many packages with very old bugs :
http://master.debian.org/~vincent/report-byage.txt

But we probably don't want to throw out developers because of that. What
you can do however is to have a look a those list and choose packages on
which you could work, like I did for dpkg-ftp (I closed/fixed all bugs except
one wishlist bug).

You can ask to take maintainership of those packages, if you get no answer
from the maintainer in a week or two, then the package is yours (but ask on
-devel). If the maintainer does not accept you can still submit him patches.
And if patches don't get incorporated without good reasons, you may want to
do NMUs (but the maintainer will likely include your patches).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/