Re: Mechanism for removing developers

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 05:30:03PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Le Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 09:13:04AM -0600, John Goerzen écrivait:
> > Again, as I said in my message, I'm not proposing removing developers that
> > maintain packages with bugs, or packages with very old bugs.  This case is
> > different.  The developer has literally *ignored* bugs for over 700 or 800
> > days, depending on the bug.  That's right -- no response to the submittor.
>
> Are you sure the developer still receive the bugs ? Are you sure the
> developer is still in Debian ?

See, that's the point.  If the person is not "still in Debian" (in this
case, meaning that they just left without telling anyone), they ought to be
removed.  If the person had informed us that he was leaving, the packages
would not list him as the maintainer.

> I'm not sure... the solution to your problem is certainly not to remove the
> developer but to orphan a package that a maintainer is not able to maintain.
> But it's difficult to define what is good maintaining and what is not.

Precisely, which is why I'm asking for policy.

> You probably should try something similar, ask the maintainer if he *really*
> still want to maintain that package. If not then orphan it.

Some of the people I'm talking about don't answer e-mail about Debian.