Re: what needs to be policy?

Hi,

 Joey> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> FUD. If you are changing things in a incompatible fashion and
 >> breaking other packages and policy, I sure hope t put additional
 >> obstacles in your path.  In fact, this is a prime argument for
 >> putting sub policies under the policy change mechanism.

 Joey> You're ingoring the possibility that things may be changed in
 Joey> an incompatible way but with a structure in place to preserve
 Joey> backwards compatability. You're assumming that a package
 Joey> maintainer can not make any large changes in the interface to
 Joey> their package after it becomes widly used in debian, and this
 Joey> is flat out untrue.

	``untrue'' is provocative, implying an intent to deceive, but
 I shall ignore that. And you are aplitting hairs. Either the new
 mechanism is incompatible ot it is not: if there are structres fro
 backwards compatibility, and no other program is broken, then that
 paragraph does not apply (and niether is there need to change
 policy). Are you just trying to be argumentative?

 Joey> Example: If the format of menu files changes, the menu
 Joey> maintainer should be free to make the new format the preferred
 Joey> format. They will of course be required to make the old format
 Joey> still work so they don't break tons of packages. This isn't
 Joey> hypothetical, this has happened.

	Yes. And the menu package is not yet policy. When it does
 become policy, the interface shall be fixed; and once fixed, any
 changes should be carefully considered, out in the open, and subject
 to peer review.

	Until they pass the process, they should not be considered
 grounds for posting bug reports against all packages using the old
 system.

 Joey> If the menu system changed in an incompatable fashion with no
 Joey> upgrade path it would break tons of packages and bug reports
 Joey> could justifiably be filed against menu for doing this. So
 Joey> there's no need for it to be policy.

	justifiably? Not by your own rules, quoted below. Some would
 debate that, since the maintainer has sole jurisdiction over their
 package.

 >> Either they are debian policy, or they are not. If they are
 >> not, then one may dismiss bug reports based on not following
 >> them.

 Joey> No one may not. There are two valid reasons for a bug report:

 Joey> 1. A package breaks. It does not work, it does not install,
 Joey>    whatever. This is _always_ a bug, it may not be dismissed
 Joey>    for any reason.

	Well, Duh.

 Joey> 2. A package is in violation of policy.

 Joey> There is no need to make something policy if not following that
 Joey> policy would lead to 1.

	An incompatible change in menu does not mean the package does
 not work. It does. Just every other package is now broken. By your
 own rules, one may not report bugs against menu.

	I find that unacceptable.

	manoj
--
 I know it's weird, but it does make it easier to write poetry in
 perl.  :-) --Larry Wall in <7865@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>