Re: what needs to be policy?

Previously Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Are they really policy?

Probably just as much as the menu-structure or mime-setup is. It
documents where kernel modules should be placed in the filesystem.

> Do they affect multiple packages?

Yes. I should add documentation for update-modules to that and that it
will be the official way packages should handle installing kernel
modules and specifying their configuration. Multiple package already use
this system.

> Then if later the modutils maintainer decides to change the behaviour,
> we can declare the newer modutils as violating policy, and protect the
> other packages that followed policy from being rendered non-working.
> (not that I think the maintainer is going to do any such thing ...)

As maintainer of modutils I would find it troublesome if I have to go
through the new-policy-process here for every change I make. Having to
wait a while for each feature I add doesn't sound very helpful.

>	I think I would like to get away from the good old country
> club days when every one was expected to play the straight bat and
> not tread on any toes, and move to a SOP that sets down rules
> clearly, and allows for a formal dead lock resolution scheme, without
> putting god like powers in the hands of the project leader of the
> tech committee.

Is it really that bad to delegate subpolicies to people? I don't really
see why the menu-structure can't be delegated to the maintainer of menu
for example.

>	I do not remember who it was that said that. What were the
> reasons for not extending policy so that we incorporate conventions
> that allow packages to cooperate, without fear that one fine day
> everything may stop working, since the convention is not policy?

I vaguely remember someone (Raul?) saying that subpolicies are
subpolicies, and as such not part of the debian-policy package.

After some thought I think I agree with that. Having a list of
subpolicies and put that in debian-policy and delegating those
subpolicies sounds like a good approach.

Wichert. (waiting for Manoj to oppose to a lot of this :)

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl