Re: what needs to be policy?

Hi,
>>"Wichert" == Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

 Wichert> Previously Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> However, once the document has stabilized, I think it makes sense to
 >> bring the document under ther fold of this mailing list, so that
 >> a) Policy documents are not scattered to the four winds,
 >> b) the Packages affected by the sub policy are spared the whims and
 >> vagaries of a lone developer ;-)

 Wichert> Does that mean that you want things like
 Wichert> /usr/doc/modutils/placement.Debian.gz and other subpolicies
 Wichert> to be moved to the debian-policy package once they are
 Wichert> stabilized?

	Are they really policy? Do they affect multiple packages? Or
 are they merely the documentation of modutils?  If we decide they are
 indeed policy (I see no mention of this in any policy document, so I
 can't be sure), then yes, I would like to incorporate that as Debian
 policy, in the policy document. Then if later the modustils
 maintainer decides to change the behaviour, we can declare the newer
 modutils as violating policy, and protect the other packages that
 followed policy from being rendered non-working. (not that I think
 the maintainer os going to do any such thing ...)

	I think I would like to get away from the good old country
 club days when every one was expected to play the straight bat and
 not tread on any toes, and move to a SOP that sets down rules
 clearly, and allows for a formal dead lock resolution scheme, without
 putting god like powers in the hands of the project leader of the
 tech committee.

 Wichert> I suggested that a couple of months ago and got the reply
 Wichert> that subpolicies were just that and would never become part
 Wichert> of the `official policy documents'. As an example the
 Wichert> emacsen-policy you mentioned a couple of times now was also
 Wichert> mentioned in that reply iirc.

	I do not remember who it was that said that. What were the
 reasons for not extending policy so that we incorporate conventions
 that allow packages to cooperate, without fear that one fine day
 everything may stop working, since the convention is not policy?

	Is there a rationale for that?

	manoj

--
 The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
 do nothing. Edmund Burke