Re: what needs to be policy?

Hi,

	Before people rise up in arms about my proposal to bring more
 sub policies under the umbrella of a wider scrutiny and
 ``democratic'' control, please understand that the so called viting
 is not deciding technical content by popularity. There are mechanisms
 to ensure that a technnical issue shall not be hijacked by a small
 set of, umm, less than competent developers, if there be any such.

	To quote:

3.3. Deadlock resolution
     has grown more fractious than in the days of yore. We now need a
     formal process of deadlock resolution, and we need to recognize that
     on non-technical issues a small minority should not always hold up
     deployment of policy.

     If a consensus is not reached, (or if someone submits a formal
     objection to the proposal) and the end of the discussion period is
     near, then one is faced with a dilemma.

3.3.1. Impasse on Technical Issues
----------------------------------

     On technical issues, popularity is a bad way of arriving at
     conclusions. Hopefully, the policy group would arrive at a consensus
     on their own. If that fails to happen, or if there is a formal
     objection raised on the issue, and the issue is a technical one, then
     the technical committee may be consulted. This should be a rare
     occurrence.

3.3.2. Non Technical and Subjective Disagreements

     However, if the issue is non-technical and subjective, then a vote of
     the developers may be taken ...

     If the issue raised is especially contentious, or is deemed to be
     suitable for review by the full set of developers, then four or more
     developers can call for a hold on the proposal, and move to send the
     proposal to the larger developer body as a General Resolution. *Note:*
     The constitution may have additional requirements for submitting a
     General Resolution, for example, a minimum number of seconders, etc.

	manoj
--
 Be open to other people -- they may enrich your dream.
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>