Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> If we simplify it to 2.0.8-0.1 then it should conform to your idea of
> policy better, but it doesn't convey as much information as the other form
> and it would make them look like non-maintainer releases.

Go with the more informative option, and make a proposal to get policy
relaxed, or do something like the more radical solution I proposed.
Either way, we now have technical solutions that will keep the info in
the version number.  Let's use one of those.

> If policy must insist on leaving no "wiggle" room here, then my only
> recourse is to not release "pre-release" versions. I don't think
> that is a good idea, as it wastes our testing manpower, and weakens
> the final product.

Of course.  That would be ridiculous.  No one sane is arguing in favor
of that.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>