Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

Hi,
>>"Rob" == Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

 Rob> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
 >> I actually like this. I still think that the aversion people
 >> have for epochs is rather more than is warranted from the technical
 >> objections (the mandatory longevity _is_ a technical objection), but
 >> the -0 approach is elegant.

 Rob> I mostly agree, but the argument that anything to the right of the
 Rob> dash should only reflect *Debian* related revisions does hold some
 Rob> water.

	Well, my contention is that pre-release are *not* upstream
 releases. They can arguably be termed a special release (not an
 upstream release) that the debian maintainer has chosen to make. This
 is a bit of a stretch, but acceptable, in my opinion.

 Rob> It might be a little nicer to just define a "right side" epoch.
 Rob> Something like:

 Rob>   2.0.7-1:alpha
 Rob>   2.0.7-1:pre1
 Rob>   etc.

 Rob> So anything to the right of a : that's to the right of the - would be
 Rob> the mini-epoch, and any package with a :foo at the end automatically
 Rob> sorted as older than the same version of the package without the :X
 Rob> (ignoring the debian revision).

 Rob> (I'd rather use 2.0.7:pre1-1, but we can't because then something like
 Rob> 1:2-4 becomes ambiguous.)

	Interesting. A higher epoch makes a package newer, this new
 proposal make a package version older. Nice. We could even tack it to
 the left using a different symbol:

	1:pre~libc-2.07-1 < 1:libc-2.07-1
	1:pre~libc-2.07-1 > libc-2.07-1

	Or we can, as Rob proposed, tack it on to the right. The
 critical part is that this new "mini-epoch" makes a package
 sort older.

	manoj
--
 "The difference between fantasy and science fiction is that one hast
 honest politicians scrupulous lawyers, and altruistic doctors, while