Re: Provides: emacsen ?

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> Manoj, do you have a list of these packages handy?  If so, could you
> file a bug, or send me the list so I can?  I believe this is broken.
> Nothing should depend on emacsen-common, only emacsen.

Ok, now I'm not so sure about what's the proper dependency, so I
wanted to solicit some input.  A recent bug has pointed out to me that
we need the add-on package install/removal script dependency ordering
*now*.  When thinking about that, I realized that emacsen-common
(since it has code too) must also be taken into consideration when
computing the ordering.  Specifically, it must be compiled first.

I see two ways to accomplish this:

  1) Hard code emacsen-common's scripts to always put it first.
  2) Revise policy to insist that add-on packages depend on
     emacsen-common rather than emacsen so that pkg-order will
     automatically pick up the dependency.

Option 1 has the advantage of being straightforward if inelegant, and
requires no modifications to existing packages.  Option 2 is
conceptually cleaner, but requires many of the add-on packages to
modify their dependency lists.

I favor 1 for now since it's easy and won't require other package
revs, and since we can still move to 2 later if we decide it's
substantially preferable.

Thoughts?  Have I missed something?

Thanks

--