Re: Proposal how to handle mass bug reports (was: Re: Bug Terrorism?

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> 3)   Any bug that can be detected by a script or other automated way should be
>    implemented as Lintian check, because then the check applies also to all
>    future versions of the package and all advantages of Lintian come into
>    play.
>      For this reason, it is better to get the check into Lintian than to
>    submit the bugs personally; personal auto-generated bug reports are
>    therefore unecessary and depreciated.

I periodically (semi-monthly) generate a small collection of automatically
generated bug reports detailing packages with new upstream versions
available. I generate these by looking at what is available on sunsite. This
is an example of an automated bug reporting process which does not fit in
lintian. Thus, I don't favor #3.

--
see shy jo