Re: Proposal how to handle mass bug reports (was: Re: Bug Terrorism?

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 07:35:48PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > 3)   Any bug that can be detected by a script or other automated way should be
> >    implemented as Lintian check, because then the check applies also to all
> >    future versions of the package and all advantages of Lintian come into
> >    play.
> >      For this reason, it is better to get the check into Lintian than to
> >    submit the bugs personally; personal auto-generated bug reports are
> >    therefore unecessary and depreciated.
>
> I periodically (semi-monthly) generate a small collection of automatically
> generated bug reports detailing packages with new upstream versions
> available. I generate these by looking at what is available on sunsite. This
> is an example of an automated bug reporting process which does not fit in
> lintian. Thus, I don't favor #3.

I obviously didn't thought of such examples. I'm sure that this can be
reworded to cope such cases. It is just so that english is not my native
language. Please compare this with point 4). A new version available is not
a violation of policy, nor is it a bug in the software. It is a (very
reasonable) wish.

Mmmh. Does anyone with a finer tongue has a suggestion for a better wording?

Marcus