Re: DFSG and GPL -- source retention

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:
> Hmm? The archive on va is on /org/archive.debian.org/ftp

If the sources are not publically accessible we're not meeting the GPL
requirement that we distribute them.

> > Even if we restrict special source retention treatment to those packages
> > with a source availability clause and even though many of our versions
> > are patches, not complete archives?
>
> Yes. We are looking at doubling or even quadrupaling the size of the
> source archive by even completing our version set, keeping them for 3
> years is insane, we can't possibly do it.
>
> Last I checked the GPL has such a clause which is quite the chunk of our
> distribution.

We can probably get by without hanging onto pre-release copies of sources.
But if we can't meet the 3 year distribution requirement for all GPLed
code we carry then, frankly, we should stop distributing GPLed code.
[Or we should get the FSF to change the license to something we can
deal with.]

I hear that netbsd has put together a fairly adequate system which
doesn't have any GPLed code in it.

--
Raul