Re: DFSG and GPL -- source retention

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> > > One issue that's come up:  we're currently doing nothing to guarantee
> > > that we're distributing source for three years after binaries have been
> > > shipped on GPLed code.
>
> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:
> > We do for things we have officially released. If you look on va there
> > is an archive of all releases back to rex, I could get buzz as well
> > I'm told.
>
> Really?  What urls should I look at?

Hmm? The archive on va is on /org/archive.debian.org/ftp

> > The sources we do not have come from version skew between the ports and
> > interm releases on the path to being stable. I'm not sure this is good
> > enough, but keeping every tar.gz we ever put out for 3 years is NOT
> > feasable.
>
> Even if we restrict special source retention treatment to those packages
> with a source availability clause and even though many of our versions
> are patches, not complete archives?

Yes. We are looking at doubling or even quadrupaling the size of the
source archive by even completing our version set, keeping them for 3
years is insane, we can't possibly do it.

Last I checked the GPL has such a clause which is quite the chunk of our
distribution.

Jason