Re: DFSG and GPL -- source retention

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> > > Really?  What urls should I look at?
>
> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:
> > Hmm? The archive on va is on /org/archive.debian.org/ftp
>
> If the sources are not publically accessible we're not meeting the GPL
> requirement that we distribute them.

The requirement is 3 years and someone has to ask for it, that is we don't
have to make it available constantly - last I checked of course. It
actually said a 'written offer' but hey.

The GPL is kinda vague on what happens if someone downloads a binary from
an archive that has source for that binary, do we have to keep said source
on said archive for 3 years? If not then do we have to respond to requests
for 3 years? If not then do we have to keep source for anyone except the
binary-only cd vendors?

Jason