Re: Should -dev and -dbg libary packages depend on ${Source-Version}?

    Adam> Well, rather than making an exemption, the point is pretty
    Adam> simple:

    Adam>   If a package depends on a specific version of a -dev or
    Adam> lib* pacakge, that dependancy should be reflected in the
    Adam> control file.

I suppose that's kind of what I'm trying to say, but what I wish to
prevent is problems like this:

libfoo1_1.0.0 includes /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1.0 -> libfoo.so.1.0.0
              and real library /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1.0.0

libfoo-dev_1.0.0 includes /usr/lib/libfoo.so -> libfoo.so.1.0.0

libfoo-dev depends (no version) on libfoo1.

If you upgrade libfoo1 without upgrading libfoo-dev now to another
minor version, say 1.0.1, the libfoo-dev package will point to a
non-existant file.

So I was thinking it'd be nice to warn developers of shared library
packages that they should have the -dev file depend with a versioned
depends on the real lib file.

--
Brought to you by the letters K and N and the number 19.
"Killer refresh rate! It's even got a PCI bus!" -- Hackers