Re: Installing files in user directories

Hi,
>>"Santiago" == Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

 Santiago> Maybe you are simply surprised by the fact that base-files recently
 Santiago> changed from installing a default /root/.bash_profile to installing a
 Santiago> default /root/.profile (which is slightly "more POSIX").

 Santiago> I considered several ways to do this. Among them:

 Santiago> 1. If ~/.bash_profile exists and ~/.profile does not, move
 Santiago> automatically ~/.bash_profile to ~/.profile.

	Don't you dare. ;-) The presence of a .bash_profile means a
 root directory that has already been set up. Do not much around in
 /root unless on a fresh install.

 Santiago> 2. If neither ~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile exists, install a
 Santiago> default ~/.profile.

	Hmm.

 Santiago> 3. If neither ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile
 Santiago>    exist, install a default ~/.profile.

	I like this best.

 Santiago> 4. If ~/.profile does not exist, install a default ~/.profile.

	This may modify a home dir already in use, which is a bad idea.

 Santiago> I chose 4. because it is the simplest solution.

 Santiago> I could implement 2) or 3) instead, but it is really needed?

	Well, I like 3, since that is the least interference in a home
directory that may alredy be in use. It is very easy to implement 3
instead of 4 (I can provide, sh, Perl, and C implementations on
demand, and I could even write the 10,000 line object oriented C++
method that this would take ;-)

	manoj
--
 Rattling around the back of my head is a disturbing image of
 something I saw at the airport ... Now I'm remembering, those giant