Re: Installing files in user directories

Hi.

Maybe you are simply surprised by the fact that base-files recently
changed from installing a default /root/.bash_profile to installing a
default /root/.profile (which is slightly "more POSIX").

I considered several ways to do this. Among them:

1. If ~/.bash_profile exists and ~/.profile does not, move
automatically ~/.bash_profile to ~/.profile.

2. If neither ~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile exists, install a
default ~/.profile.

3. If neither ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile exist, install
a default ~/.profile.

4. If ~/.profile does not exist, install a default ~/.profile.

I chose 4. because it is the simplest solution.

bash first looks for .bash_profile, then .bash_login and then .profile,
and executes the first one that exists and is readable.

Therefore if the user has already a working .bash_profile and base-files
installs a default .profile, it will be completely harmless.

I could implement 2) or 3) instead, but it is really needed?

--
 "697b299e5c84f28eb38b37da74759b89" (a truly random sig)