Installing files in user directories

(While this relates to a specific package, I think my real question
is more policy related...)

Can a package install files (via the unpack or a package maintainer
script) in a user directory? (I'm not talking about something trn or
netscape that creates one or more "user-state" files when it is run.)

While I can't find a specific policy item that forbids it, it never
occured to me that it was allowed. I suppose I based this assumption on
the "don't put any files in /usr/local" rule.

The current base-files installs a default .profile and/or a default
.bashrc in /root if there is no existing instance. I filed a bug, but
the maintainer (Santiago Vila) closed it with the following message:

> [explanation of why *snipped*] I believe installing a default .profile
> for root that contains a suitable PATH so that root's account is not
> broken is not contrary to the policy or their spirit...but I really
> think base-files has *good* reasons to install default dotfiles for
> root if they do not exist.

Well, I disagree, so I thought I would bring it up here to see what
others thought. If the consensus is that such behaviour *should* violate
policy, then I'll sponsor a "formal" ammendment.