Re: problems with latest x version in incoming

Branden Robinson wrote:
> Well, I was just following the example set in sendmail.

# manage setuid X binary
> if [ -x /usr/sbin/suidregister ]; then
>   suidregister -s xserver-common /usr/X11R6/bin/X root root 4755
> else
>   chmod 4755 /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> fi

The above is fine, it is how suidmanager's README.Debian says to do it.
I don't understand why the docs say to put in the chmod too. I guess so long
as you have the chmod in there, it doesn't matter if you make the .deb file
actually have the suid bit set in it or not - I tend to go ahead and put the
suid bit in the deb file because then lintian can check on it, and because
it's clearer if someone looks at the .deb that it does contain suid
componentd.

> If this is wrong, we need some policy about it.  I couldn't find any in the
> latest version of the policy manual.

suidmanager is just an add on package, why should policy have anything to
say about it?

--
see shy jo