Re: problems with latest x version in incoming

On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 07:21:35PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > 3) The server no longer is setud root.  Thus it refuses to come up at all.
> > > 4) startx only comes up under root (some authority problem).
> >
> > I'm now using suidregister to make /usr/bin/X11/X (which is Debian's X
> > server wrapper) setuid root -- it ships with plain old mode 755.
> > xserver-common (which contains the wrapper) was one of the files with the
> > "getreal" problem, so the script bombed out before suidregister was called.
> > With the fixing of 2) above this should no longer be a problem.
>
> Sorry, that's not how suidregister is intended to work. Suidregister is not
> a base package, it is not guarenteed to be installed. What you're supposed
> to do is ship the .deb with the file(s) having the permission you intend
> them to have. (In this case, they should be suid). In the postinst, call
> suidregister if it's installed. Then when suidregister runs, it will set the
> permissions to what the admin specifies in /etc/suid.conf.

Well, I was just following the example set in sendmail.

# manage setuid X binary
if [ -x /usr/sbin/suidregister ]; then
  suidregister -s xserver-common /usr/X11R6/bin/X root root 4755
else
  chmod 4755 /usr/X11R6/bin/X
fi

If this is wrong, we need some policy about it.  I couldn't find any in the
latest version of the policy manual.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    Please do not look directly into laser