Re: NAG messages.

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Brian White wrote:

> > This is a formal request for removal from the NAG distribution list.
> >
> > Receiving 100 useless messages, each indicating an outstanding bug, is the
> > worst kind of spam. It imparts no information, either about the bugs, or
> > any suggested fixes. It only adds useless mail to my inbox, which I must
> > delete in order to see important mail.
>
> I don't want to remove people.  I feel the nag service is a helpful service
> for many people that just need a small push to encourage them to fix their
> outstanding bugs.

You are the only person I have heard say that this spam is "helpful". I
find it obnoxious, uninformative, and totally useless.

I don't care that you "don't want to remove people". This is unsolicited
spam and I want you to stop sending it to me.

> I can understand the problem with receiving hundreds of pieces of email
> about it.  Nag was never designed with the current system in mind.  What
> I've done instead is to change nag so that it only sends one piece of email
> per maintainer which includes all bugs of a given type and severity.  With
> this, you'll never receive more than one email on any given day.

While this improves the volume issues, it doesn't address the fundamental
problem. You are sending unsolicited mail to me. I have requested that you
cease doing so. You have refused. My only legal recourse is to charge you
a fee for such "unsolicited manuscripts" if you still insist on sending
them to me.

>                                           Brian
>                                  ( bcwhite@verisim.com )

>    Tired of spam?  See what you can do to fight it at: http://www.cauce.org/