Re: /etc/adjtime, /etc/timezone, etc.

On 4 Sep 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>  Santiago> But the reason policy says some files should not be
>  Santiago> conffiles is the following: "Doing this will lead to dpkg
>  Santiago> giving the user confusing and possibly dangerous options
>  Santiago> for conffile update when the package is upgraded.", which
>  Santiago> is completely false for conffiles that never change
>
> 	Well, I guess a rationale is that saying `never' anything is
>  dangerous [...]

Yes, this could be some of the rationale I would like to see.

I hope not to be misunderstood. I *agree* with you that the postinst
solution is probably better, my only "complain" is that policy (currently)
does not give a rationale which is good enough for all cases yet.

--
 "895004c4c3b4106584e9be1299f8183c" (a truly random sig)