Re: /usr/X11R6

Hi,
>>"Andreas" == Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:

 Andreas> On Sun 30 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> Not until you show me an upgrade path to R7 and X12. The
 >> current method allows for co-existance of several releases of X
 >> (barring our own bad /etc/X11 directory). Until an upgrade path, with
 >> an eye to the future, is available, we should change nothing.

 Andreas> old:
 Andreas> /usr/X11R6, /usr/X11R7, /usr/X12R0, symlinks /usr/X11 /usr/X12
 Andreas> (btw, there is no /usr/X11 and /usr/X386 symlink on my system !).

 Andreas> new:
 Andreas> /usr (X11R6 currently), /usr/X11R7, /usr/X12R0
 Andreas> this is possible. it works.

	Why? Whay are you singling out X11R6? It seems to me the
 solution is broken, since you need to back out of it for futire
 revisions.

	Another things that breaks: when we have multiple binaries
 installed, /usr/bin still contains *old* X11R6 binaries no matter
 what!. Every single darned ser has to change the PATH when the
 management decides which X release to use. Currently, I cahnge 2
 symlinks.

 Andreas> but i think debian will find ways to handle R6 -> R7 -> X12
 Andreas> transitions (if these should ever happen) in one common
 Andreas> /usr, ther same way /usr-libc5 and /usr-libc6 was not
 Andreas> necessary.

	Sure, we ca hack and kludge our way out of the corner we are
 apinting ourselves in. What for?

 Andreas> i prefer to face a X11R7 should it every be released, than
 Andreas> massive hacks in gnome, kde, tk and many other applications.

	What hacks in these applications? With symlinks in place, what
 hacks are required?

 Andreas> IMO /usr/X11R6 tree is rather a workaround the problem, than
 Andreas> a fix.  i prefer to get rid of it, and fix it when the
 Andreas> problem shows up.

	Not when it means breaking standards and breaking from every
 other UNIX installation in the world. Your preferences do not qualify
 as a good enough technical reason.

 Andreas> to be true: i don't expect X11R7 to be released, but rather
 Andreas> some other window system show up, and alternative libraries
 Andreas> for gnome, so it will run on it. at the linux kongress,
 Andreas> bruce told that someone was already building an alternative
 Andreas> window system, and had (parts of ?) gtk or gnome ported to
 Andreas> it, so all gtk applications could (run|be compiled) to work
 Andreas> with it.

	When we get that other vapourware system implemented, we shall
 take another look at this. Right now, let us not jump to conclusions
 we may regret later. Guess how people got into the Y2K mess.

	manoj
--
 Do you think your mother and I should have lived comfortably so long
 together if ever we had been married?