Re: What RMS says about standards (was: [rms@gnu.org: Re: Questions regarding free documentation.]

Hi,
>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> Hello,

 Marcus> this is was RMS told me about this topic. I think it is
 Marcus> relevant for the discussion. It contains an example where a
 Marcus> free standard would have been useful and provides yet another
 Marcus> solution for standard authors to protect the integrity of
 Marcus> their standard.

	I agree. I also say it applies to licenses as well. If not,
 please provide reasons (which I shall turn around and use for
 standards, then).

 Marcus> There are now many ways for authors to do this:

 Marcus> a) Require a name change.
 Marcus> b) Reuqire clear marks where the document has been changed.
 Marcus> c) Require original source with diff.
 Marcus> d) Require that a non-technical part is only shipped with the verbatim
 Marcus> standard (see below).

 Marcus> I think this is sufficient to address Manojs fears about the
 Marcus> integritation of the standard.

	Yup. It would also work for Licenses.

 Marcus> Manoj, if you still think that derived works will be
 Marcus> problematic for the community, despite the four possibilities
 Marcus> above, it is your turn to give technical arguments why the
 Marcus> integrity of standard documents needs even more protection.

	No, no. I concede this point. I also think it applies to
 licenses. I think RMS is being very hypocritical for not using this
 license for the GPL.

	I am going to insist on the same treatment fot licenses as for
 standards. Also, the DFSG and the social contract are not even
 licenses.

	Give me reasons all these are not DFSG free, and why they
 should nt be. And, I shall use your arguments for the standards as
 well, so be careful in what you say ;-)

	manoj
--
 "All Marxists, basically, are reactionaries, yearning for the
 Oriental despotisms of pre-Hellenic times, the neolithic culture that