What RMS says about standards (was: [rms@gnu.org: Re: Questions regarding free documentation.]

Hello,

this is was RMS told me about this topic. I think it is relevant for the
discussion. It contains an example where a free standard would have been
useful and provides yet another solution for standard authors to protect
the integrity of their standard.

There are now many ways for authors to do this:

a) Require a name change.
b) Reuqire clear marks where the document has been changed.
c) Require original source with diff.
d) Require that a non-technical part is only shipped with the verbatim
standard (see below).

I think this is sufficient to address Manojs fears about the integritation
of the standard.

Manoj, if you still think that derived works will be problematic for the
community, despite the four possibilities above, it is your turn to give
technical arguments why the integrity of standard documents needs even more
protection.

Thank you,
Marcus

----- Forwarded message from Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> -----