Re: changes and standards documents

Hi,
>>"Philip" == Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

 Marcus> a) Without documentation, you can't use the software.

 >> Does not apply to a standard. You use the standard by reading
 >> it -- nothing has to be modified. A standard is not documentation for
 >> a program.

 Philip> Lets say the restrictions on the standard were relaxed to the
 Philip> point that one were allowed to redistribute it as an ASCII
 Philip> text file, as long ad the md5sum was the same as the
 Philip> original.

 Philip> We would then have the following options:

 Philip>   1)  not distribute it anyway

 Philip>   2)  distribute it in non-free
 Philip>       (for example I might put it in mgetty-doc-nonfree.deb)

 Philip>   3)  distribute it in main
 Philip>       (so I might include it in mgetty-doc.deb)

 Philip> IMO 1) is a disservice to our users, since it is a standard
 Philip> to which some of the programmes in main are written.

	Agreed.

 Philip> I also think 3) is wrong, since it gives the impression that
 Philip> there is no difference between this document and other parts
 Philip> of main, despite the redistribution restriction.

	Is there really a difference? Remember not to compare apples
 to oranges. We cannot use software and its documentation for
 comparision. And one does not throw things into non-free just because
 they are different; we put them in non-free because we think they are
 detrimental to the community, but since our users want them, we
 reluctantly make them available on our ftp site.

 Philip> 2) seems to fit the bill quite well.  We give our users
 Philip>    fairly easy access to the document, without contaminating
 Philip>    main with non-free stuff, or causing confusion by
 Philip>    requiring that the licences for documentation in main need
 Philip>    to be read in detail before fixing a spelling mistake, for
 Philip>    example.

	I think 2 is wrong, since it restricts access to a standard
 that is freely distributable. 2 would make it not part of debian, and
 not be on the CD ROMS. I think that the community benefts from the
 dissemination of standards documents.

	I think that mutable strandards are an anathema: supporting a
 plethora of modified almost standards dilutes the benefits of a
 standard, the strength of a standard lies in the fact that *everyone*
 follws the same document.

	Standards are not improved by generating a gazilionsets of
 documents, confusing what exactly the standard says, and then
 converging the standard back. Stnadards bodies *do* look at
 non-confrmant implemntations and applications, and use prior art to
 amend or enhance the next version; but never have I heard any
 standards body taking in an bastardized version and incorporating it
 into the next standard.

	As the community benefits from the wide dissemination and use
 of standards, which allows authors to synergistically build upon each
 others works, and the community suffers from teh spread of a subtly
 or drastically different copies of what purports to be a standards
 dcument, I think we should actually frown on mutable standards.

	What is good for software may be bad for standards.

	manoj
--
 PLUG IT IN!!!